The BBC has been accused by MPs of misleading parliament over its “catastrophic” Digital Media Initiative (DMI), which was axed last month after wasting nearly £100m of licence-fee-payer’s money.
MPs on the Commons public accounts committee (PAC) said the BBC and its former director general, Mark Thompson, gave evidence to parliament in 2011 that “just wasn’t true”.
In a hearing held on Monday at BBC North’s MediaCityUK headquarters in Salford, BBC trustee Anthony Fry admitted DMI had been a “complete catastrophe”. He said: “It is extraordinarily worrying. At a personal level it is probably the most serious, embarrassing thing I have ever seen.”
The flagship project, which was designed to do away with videotapes and digitise BBC archive content, was eventually axed on 24 May after costing the BBC £98.4m. The National Audit Office (NAO) and accountancy firm PricewaterhouseCoopers, on behalf of the BBC, are conducting separate investigations into the project’s failure.
Source: Guardian Online
See Also: MediaCity UK… does its name not shriek gullibility? (Daily Mail)
See Also: Handling of DMI ‘catastrophe’ criticised (Ariel)